Xiaomi have officially introduced the Redmi Note 9T in South Africa as was promised. The device is 5G enabled, runs Dimensity 800U from MediaTek and price at r5499 Rand in South Africa. Xiaomi is currently aiming to push up it game in the South African smartphone market. Just under two weeks ago, the company announced the standard Redmi 9T in the country, a 4G smartphone now complimented by a 5G running Note 9T.
This device was first introduced back in January of 2021, and it came either in 4GB RAM with 64GB ROM, or 4GB RAM pegged with 128GB ROM. Sadly, even though it looks like Xiaomi is attempting to up her game in the South African market, it is not entirely clear why the company is neglecting her competitive and affordable pricing strategy in the country.
As at writing, this same Redmi Note 9T with 4GB RAM and 128GB ROM is around $240 on Aliexpress. In fact, the device was priced at 269 Euros (320 US Dollars) at launch. But arriving in SA almost three months later, the Note 9T still came with R5,499 price tag, which is an equivalent of $377 USD. But even at that, the Redmi Note 9T is still the cheapest 5G smartphone you can buy currently in South Africa, but we’d just wish Xiaomi is more strict to it aggressive pricing strategy.
As for the specifications, you are getting a 6.53-inches smartphone that is powered by the aforementioned Dimensity 800U CPU. Camera offers includes a set of three sensors on the back, of which the main snapper is a 48-megapixel lens, leaving the selfie duties to a 13-megapixel shooter on the front.
Redmi Note 9T 5G Key specs and features
- Dimensions; weight: 161.2 x 77.3 x 9.1 mm; 199 grams
- Display: 6.53-inch IPS LCD screen with 1080 x 2340px HD+ with 19.5:9 ratio
- CPU: 2.4GHz octa-core MediaTek Dimensity 800U (MT6873V) 7nm with Mali-G57 MC3 GPU
- Storage and RAM: 128/256GB (UFS 2.2) and 6/8GB RAM; expandable up to 512GB via microSD
- OS: Android 10 with MIUI 12
- Camera: Tripe-Cameras: 48MP f/1.8 main camera; 2MP depth and 2MP 4CM macro lens
- Front camera: 13MP
- Video recording: 2K/[email protected], [email protected]/60fps
- Connectivity: GSM / HSPA / LTE / 5G SA/ NSA
- Other Features: Fingerprint scanner (side), USB Type-C, 3.5mm audio jack, FM Radio, Stereo speakers, IR sensor, Splash resistant (P2i coating)
- Battery: 5000mAh with 18W fast charging
Redmi Note 9T pricing in South Africa
The Note 9T is comes in Nightfall Black and Daybreak Purple, and priced at r5499 rans in South Africa, or $377 US Dollars for the 4GB RAM with 128GB. The phone is currently available both via online and offline stores, and also via Mi-African official sales page.