Xiaomi officially introduced the Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer, along with the Mi 8 mobile phone announced some hours ago. The Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer is more like a premium version of the Mi 8. In fact, the Mi 8 and the Mi 8 explorer are the same smartphone separated in three (3) key areas viz;
- The Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer comes with a transparent back panel, which is the reason for the name, allowing you to explore the internals of the smartphone with your eyes, even without tearing the device open. You are able to see the camera module, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC, some antennas among others.
- The Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer is the first world smartphone to introduce a fully functional under-the-screen finger print scanner and
- The Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer provide 8GB of RAM along with 256GB internal storage. The maximum RAM size of the Xiaomi Mi 8, is 6GB.
Other specs of the Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer are same as the Xiaomi Mi 8, which includes a Snapdragon 845, 8GB of RAM, 256GB of storage, dual 12MP cameras at the back, and a 20MP front camera with full AI capability. The device also provide 3D face unlock, dual-GPS, dual-SIM support, 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac NFC and Bluetooth 5.0.
Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer Key Specs and Features
- OS: Android 8.1 (Oreo)
- Display: 6.21 inches, 97.1 cm2 (~83.8% screen-to-body ratio) , 1080 x 2248 pixels (~402 ppi density)
- Processor Type: Octa-core (4×2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 385 Silver) Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845
- Graphics Processor: Adreno 630
- Internal Storage and RAM: 128 GB, 8 GB RAM
- Back Camera: Dual: 12 MP (f/1.8, 1.4µm, 4-axis OIS, dual-pixel PDAF) + 12 MP (f/2.4), 2x optical zoom, dual pixel phase detection autofocus, LED flash
- Front Camera: 20 MP (f/2.0, 1.8µm), 1080p
- Other Features: GSM / HSPA / LTE, Face ID, fingerprint (under display), accelerometer, gyro, proximity, barometer, compass, 5.0, A2DP, LE, aptX HD
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 3400 mAh battery
- Colors: Black (transparent back)
Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer Price and Availability
The Xiaomi Mi 8 Explorer edition is available only in Black with transparent back panel. The phone will go on sale in China for ¥3,699 ($580), and while that’s a crazy bargain when you consider the tech on offer, the device will be sold in extremely limited quantities.