So the season of different rumors is now over, although only few aspect of the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S is new. Almost every aspects of the device has been leaked in one way or the other. The Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S as expected, arrived with the fire-breathing Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 CPU, and a very impressive camera capability, which we shall discuss below.
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S: Design and Display
The Mi MIX 2s features a 7000-series aluminum frame and four-sided curved ceramic body, measuring 150.86 x 74.9 x 8.1mm and weighs 189 grams. Xiaomi was able to reduce the bezels in this device slightly than what we saw in the predecessor.
The smartphone is available in black and white color options. The dual camera module of the black and white models is respectively surrounded by gold and silver accents.
Like the Mi MIX 2, its upgraded model features an IPS LCD Full Screen 2.0 display that measures 5.99 inches and it offers Full HD+ resolution of 2160 x 1080 pixels. The screen that delivers an aspect ratio of 18:9 carries support for DCI-P3 color gamut. The Mi MIX 2S offers higher screen-to-body ratio than the Mi MIX 2. However, the exact information of the screen-to-body ratio of MI MIX 2S was not revealed at its launch event.
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S Specifications and Features
- Dimensions; Weight: 150.86×74.9x 8.1 mm; 189 grams
- Display: 5.99-inch (2160 × 1080 pixels) Full HD+ 18:9 display with DCI-P3 color gamut
- Processor: 2.8GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 845 64-bit 10nm Mobile Platform with Adreno 630 GPU
- Memory: 6GB LPDDR4x RAM with 64GB / 128GB (UFS 2.1) storage / 8GB LPDDR4x RAM, 256GB (UFS 2.1) internal storage
- Operating System: Android 8.1 (Oreo) Based on MIUI V9.5
- Main Camera: 12-megapixel rear camera with 26mm wide-angle lens, 1/2.6″ Sony IMX363 sensor, f/1.8 aperture, 1.4µm pixel size, dual-tone LED flash, 4-axis OIS, Optical zoom, 4K video recording, secondary 12-megapixel rear camera with 46mm telephoto lens, 1/3.4″ sensor size, f/2.4 aperture, 2X zoom
- Front Camera: 8-Megapixel front-facing camera with real-time AI portraits
- Connectivity: Hybrid slot (nano + nano/ microSD), Dual 4G VoLTE, WiFi 802.11ac dual-band (2×2 MU-MIMO ), Bluetooth 5, GPS/GLONASS/Beidou
- Other Features: Fingerprint sensor, NFC, USB Type-C
- Available Colors: Black, Gold
- Battery Capacity: 3400mAh built-in battery with QC 3.0 fast charging, 7.5W Qi wireless charging
- Price: $527
Performance and Software
The Snapdragon 845 chipset coupled with Artificial Intelligence Engine (AIE) powers the Mi MIX 2S. It is packed with Quick Charge 3.0 enabled 3,400mAh battery like the Mi MIX 2. However, the Mi MIX 2S is the first Xiaomi phone to arrive with support wireless charging. Its supports 7.5W Qi wireless charging like the 2017 iPhones. The wireless charging bed made available for Mi MIX 2S can be also used for charging other compatible phones.
Interestingly, the Mi Mix 2S is available in 3 variants. The first with 6GB RAM and 64GB Internal storage, a 6GB RAM and 128GB storage, and the third variant which host 8GB RAM and 256GB internal storage. All the variants of the Mi MIX 2S feature a microSD card slot.
The software department comprises of Android 8.0 Oreo underneat MIUI v9.5 that brings along support for full screen gestures. According to Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun, the Xiao AI voice assistant (only available in China) that has been introduced on the Mi MIX 2S is smart enough to take on the Apple’s Siri. It also includes support for Google ARCore.
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 Camera: AI Dual Camera Both Front and Back
The Mi MIX 2S is the first phone in its series to feature a vertically aligned dual camera setup. It features an f/1. 8 aperture 12-megapixel Sony IMX363 wide-angle lens that has a pixel size of 1.4micron as the primary sensor. It is coupled with a secondary 12-megapixel telephoto lens that carries support for 2x optical zoom. The dual rear cameras can capture impressive bokeh effect shots by effectively blurring the background and focusing more on the subject.
Also, the backgrounds of the bokeh shots can be customized with 6 kinds of dynamic effects such as AI Dream Bokeh, Van Gogh Starry Night effect and so on. The AI also makes it possible to detect up to 206 scenes along with support for real-time language translation and currency.
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s Camera Samples
With multi-frame image processing for noise reduction on-board, the images shot in low-light conditions are captured with rich details. The dual rear cameras are enabled with features like dual pixel autofocus, dual-tone LED flash and 4-axis optical image stabilization started from Xiaomi mi 5. Click here to see the detailed camera performance of the Mix 2s on DxOMark.
The 8-megapixel selfie camera has support for facial recognition via AI tech. But not only that, it is capable to also add impressive bokeh effects to images captures via the front sensor.
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S Pricing and Availability
The pricing of the different variants of the Mi MIX 2S are as follows:
- 6GB RAM + 64GB ROM = 3,299 Yuan (~$527)
- 6GB RAM + 128GB ROM = 3,599 Yuan (~$575)
- 8GB RAM + 256GB ROM (King Version) = 3,999 Yuan (~$639)
- Wireless charging station = 99 Yuan ($15)
The 6 GB variants of the device are available in black color whereas the special edition model has a white-polished ceramic body. The official sales of the Mi MIX 2S will begin on April 3, and should also be available internationally via online sellers.